Chemical peeling

Problems after Chemical Peel

Nicole
visitor
Texas, United States
Comments: 1

Problems after Chemical Peel

I had a facial done 10 days ago in which the lady did extractions and a Skinceuticals 30% Glycolic Gel Peel. She assured me that this is a very light peel. The next morning I woke up swollen and red. I never had a chemical peel done before so I was very concerned. I called a dermatologist and I got in 1 day later. It seemed that they didn't really spent too much time looking at me and explaining. They gave me CeraVe for cleaning and Hylatopic Plus cream for moisturizer. I also received an antiobiotic called Monodox 100. A day later I felt like the moisturizer is not enough as I started to build brown skin / crusts on all the areas extractions were performed. I added vaseline to those areas to keep them moist. My skin feels very tight, dry and itchy. I started to peel, but not like a snake... I can only see the old skin when my face is wet and some of the brown skin / crusts came off during cleansing. I don't pick or remove any of my skin until it comes off on its own. Two days ago I started applying vaseline to my entire face as it felt so dry and I thought this will speed up my healing. I still have so much old skin on my face and it itches so much. This morning, day 10, I woke up with a really bad rash on my face (except forehead), mainly on the cheeks. I saw another dermatologist today and they told me to continue with the gentle cleanser and also apply a cortisone cream to the rash and red spots morning and evening, but also add Aquaphor in the evening on top of the cortisone. The dermatologist didn't really tell what the cause of the rash could be. I looked at my antibiotic and one of the severe side effects is rash. I don't know what to do. Can the antibiotic cause the rash after 8 days or is it the vaseline I used or is this something normal after the peel. I feel traumatized now and don't understand why my dead skin just sits on my face and won't come off that easy. Overall a very bad experience and I feel lost.

All replies for this topic

DR FAYEK MOURICE GORGY
silver member Basic member
Cairo, Egypt
Comments: 16

as a begining I would like TO tell you use vaseline only until complete peeling use sun screen , dr fayek

(0)
DR S M BAKHTIAR KAMAL
bronze member Basic member
Comments: 59

Dear Nicole,

You have got so many sufferings from chemical peel of 30% glycolic acid.
30% glycolic acid is not a very much strong peel & usually do not cause so much peeling. Possibly she didn't neutralized you properly. Monodox 100mg ; possibly a Doxicycline preparation; usually do causes causes facial rash only; it may cause generalized rash . Now you should only take CORTISONE CREAM, not others.
I think your problem will be solved within 7 days.

Regards
Dr Bakhtiar

(0)
Dr. Julio César Escobar Fonseca M.D.
Plastic surgery
Cali, Colombia
Comments: 434

Prior to providing advice, my opinion is to search the solution with your physician. Proper diagnosis must be made in person.

JULIO CESAR ESCOBAR F., MD.
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon.
SCCP, ACCPRE, FILACP, IPRAS.

(0)
Anonymous
visitor

I used a 50% glycolic peel on my face last night. I left it on for 5 to 7 mins. When I washed it off with cool water my face started stinging really bad. My face looked slighty swollen, I had a little bit of frosting and today I have redish brown spots In various places on my face and im extremely dry. What is the best moisturizer or essential oil to best moisturize and heal my skin? Also is 5to 7 mins way to long to keep on my skin? And are the redish brown spots normal to get and will they go away? Thank you.

Anonymous
visitor
Florida, United Kingdom

Same thing is happening to me!

Medical Center Mihalceanu
Timisoara, Romania
Comments: 38

Reply to Anonymous

It is not a good idea to apply the treatment yourself. The chemical peels are performed by trained physicians . Otherwise serious complications can occur: infections, scarring, post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, etc.

(0)
Esthé the clinic of laser dermatology
Premium member
Prague, Czech Republic
Comments: 221

Reply to Anonymous

Dear Nicole,
chemical peeling in higher concentration (30,40,70%) is the treatment method which can be used only in hands of the doctor with lots of experiences. According to Your problems, I guess You had an alergic reaction for the glycole acid, which is one of ( even rare) complications connected with that. Probably it all complicated also infection,so they gave You antibiotics. Some of them can make a rush, like you wrote, so it´s best to discuss with dermatologist first.
In my career I saw some patients in hospital burned after chemical peeling which was made by cosmetics, horrible view, they were really depressed. But believe me, if You´re in good professional hands, even if it will take more time to recover Your skin, after all it will be fine...
Good luck and best regards,
Dr. Kubatova

(0)
nomoreever
visitor
Texas, United States
Comments: 2

Hi this is my 5th chemical peel. Usually is is great but this peel burned a bit more. A few hours it looked purple i called the esthetician and she told me was my face cause she put retin A sunscreen and tint it could be a mixture causing it to look purple. I did and it was still purplish brownish. I called back but she left and is not back till Tuesday. I did it on thursday at 9am its Sat and it usually starts to peal. But it looks like brownish dry leather and not pealing al all it looks dry and leathery no crack and feels horrible. I have no pain but my face looks really bad what to do? is this normal. I can't even look in the mirror it is dry a bit ichy and tight. Help the color is the scariest thing i have brown olive skin the face look like a mask of leather?

Medical Center Mihalceanu
Timisoara, Romania
Comments: 38

Reply to nomoreever

This time it seems that was a deeper peel as previous. It is hard to say, just on your description, if the recovery goes well or not. Go to see a dermatologist. Until then you apply a strong moisturizing cream.

(0)
Cosmetic Surgery & Skin Center,Malmö,Sweden.
platinum member Basic member
Malmö, Sweden
Comments: 491  ( 30)

Reply to nomoreever

Hi,
Your peel strength has been more this time, and there has been a more deep / strong peel. It will start to peel off somewhat later ( after a few more days than your normal peel ). You must avoid contact with hot water on your face, heat to your face, and excessive sunlight. Keep using sunblock regularly twice daily during day time, and moisturizers twice daily. If there is excessive redness, you can use a cortisone cream locally for a few days ( simplifiedcosmeticsurgery at hotmail.com ).

(0)
nomoreever
visitor
Texas, United States
Reply to Cosmetic Surgery & Skin Center,Malmö,Sweden.

Thanks so much the skin came off slower that expected but now it's is so smooth and clear. The peal was deeper and the results greater. I wish I knew that it was normal for the skin to look like leather and feel extream leathery. I would not panic next time I do a medium peal. My skin look great now no scars or black marks. So happy

Michel BERNARD M.D.
Dermatovenerology
Brussels, Belgium
Comments: 79  ( 1)

Reply to nomoreever

nice to hear !
next time remember a medium peel should be done by a skilled dermatologist !
you'll get all the informations and necessary follow up
also, they are possible complications :
hyper, hypo-pigmentations , herpes , scars , infections , blistering ...
in postpeeling cares I use cortisone and antibiotics, both locally
stay out of the sun for one month now ( sunblock 5 times a day, half an hour before going out )
best regards

(0)
Cosmetic Surgery & Skin Center,Malmö,Sweden.
platinum member Basic member
Malmö, Sweden
Comments: 491  ( 30)

Reply to nomoreever

Good to hear that your skin looks great after somewhat deeper peel, but please keep in mind also the precautions you need to take after your peel, for subsequent occasions, since there is a somewhat more chance of hyper-pigmentation, as the peel strength increases, than with a milder peel, and more so if you dont take the precautions, I mentioned earlier. It is just a warning, no need to worry, since even in those cases in which hyper-pigmentation takes place, in 98% of the cases, it is temporary. All the best.
Assistant For/-
Dr.H.A.Khawaja, MD;Diploma Approved by American Board of Cosmetic Surgery ( simplifiedcosmeticsurgery @ hotmail.com )

(0)
Heidi
visitor
Florida, United States

Hi,
I had a friend apply a chemical peel on my stomach to reduce the appearance of a scar. This was done on Sunday night. The area that he applied to turned dark purple. It is now Wednesday and still purple. When should I start to see the peeling process? Also, will all the purple skin go away. It is very dark especially on my scar. Thank you.

Syl
visitor
Budapest, Hungary
Comments: 4

Hi,

I had a TCA orange peel done two months ago and I experienced a bad breakout on my cheeks and chin. It started after the dead skin was peeled off, and my skin is very itchy and I feel tingling sensation.I also have lots of little bumps (like whiteheads )all over my cheeks and chin. I am really desperate and I really want to get rid of these ugly pimples. I hope someone can help me here!

Added photos:

San
visitor
Comments: 9

Hi. I had some pimple scarrings one face and went to see a skin doctor hoping there is something which can be done to remove the scarrings. I expected some cream or what but the skin doctor recommended me a chemical peel which I totally had no idea about. So she performed a very low % peel as she said that my skin was too fine and she had to use a very low % peel. It's been my 2nd day after the peel and my face looks like that. I have attached some pics of how it looks now. Is this normal? Cos when I called up the skin
Centre and told the skin doctor, she said its fine and it will take 3days or so to start peeling and once it's peeled, my skin will be beautiful. So I am wondering if is it suppose to be like this? The skin doctor gave me a special cream to apply for 3 days on the skin, its a recovery cream whoch has to be applied for 3 days after the chemical peel and a another cream to apply for the rest of the days every night. Someone pls tell me if this is normal. My skin has a few very dark spots now and it's becoming very hard, as in tight. Someone pls tell me pls!

Added photos:

San
visitor
Reply to San

Here's some more pics of my cheek area.

Added photos:

Syl
visitor
Budapest, Hungary
Reply to San

hi there,

for me it looks like its burnt a bit, but the tight feeling is normal,this is how chemical peels work.the skin becomes very thight then it starts to peel off.
by the way, i still have lots of red spots on my face, much more than before, but I started to take isotertinoin and contraceptive pills. i went back to the clinic and they paid me back the money.

San
visitor
Reply to Syl

Hi there! :)
Thanks so much for the reply. Now my skin has all peeled off. The dark skin had become very hard and peeled off on its own. But after the skin has peeled, my skin is left very pink.
I have attached the photos, you can see it from there. I called up my skin doctor again and she told me that's it's the chemical reaction to it. So she told me that it's ok and now I have to avoid the sun and put sun block if I happen to go out. She said that the pink skin will heal and go back to my skin colour and takes time but must strongly avoid the sun. Is this suppose to happen? As in the skin becomes pink after the scabs has fell off?
Today my doctor called up to take a cream which I will always take picture and show. She says it will speed up the recovery for the pink skin. So am I fine? Will my skin go back to its natural colour? I am paranoid! My marks are gone and now I have pink skin! It's hard to cover as I am brown skinned.

Added photos:

San
visitor
Reply to San

This is the cream the skin doctor gave me after I told her about the pink skin after the scabs fell off.

However for your skin, maybe the doctor can recommend yourself a cream to apply to get rid of the breakouts. My skin did mention to me that once after a chemical peel, once the skin has peeled off and all, breakouts may occur if not taken care. My doctor gave me a cream to apply for breakouts. I will take picture and show you. It's called BENZAC AC GEL. It really helps for breakouts.

The pictures attached is the cream which my doctor gave me after I told her about the pink skin. As mentioned earlier.

Added photos:

San
visitor
Reply to San

This is the BENZAC AC GEL for the pimple/acne as mentioned earlier.

Added photos:

Syl
visitor
Budapest, Hungary
Reply to San

i had the same 'pinkish' coloured skin after the old skin totally peeled off, but it should heal within a week or ten days. the final recovery of the skin is approx 4-6 weeks, so i am sure that by the end of this time, your skin will look georgeus!:). but you really shouldn't go out without sunscreen cream (min. 30 SPF, but 50 SPF is even better) and if i was you, i would also wear a hat. the new skin can burn quicker and easier than old skin so try to avoid getting marks.

thanks for the cream recommendation, i have tried those creams, but didnt help so i am taking the oral medication and it started to get better, hopefully i will also look better in a few weeks;).

San
visitor
Reply to Syl

Thanks so much dear for your reply and help. It has really helped me alot and boost my self-esteem. :)
I am always applying my revlon BB Cream with SPF 30 and on top on that another sun block cream on my skin when I go out. I use 2 of these on my face each time I go out when it's hot. Singapore here, the weather is super hot!!! First sunblock cream and on top of that will be my BB cream and then my ZA powder which also has SPF. Super layering my face with lots of SPF. Hehe.
But there is one part on my face on my cheek area, nearer to my mouth there which the skin is dark. Will it go back to its natural color? It's like abit pink with some darkness.
I went to see my skin doctor today for a review and she told me to keep applying that Dermasone cream and within a few weeks, it should be fine, as in go back to my skin natural colour. I have attached the picture of what i am referring to. Is that true????
Does it take time to heal back? Will it go back to my natural skin colour?

Added photos:

San
visitor
Reply to Syl

Don't worry! You will look amazing! That pills are helping well for you! :))

Syl
visitor
Budapest, Hungary

that sounds a very safe way to go out to the sun:)
i am sure that the darkish colour will go away with time, its like when you have a pimple and you squeeze it, it will cause a darker spot, but the colour of the skin will go back to normal in a few weeks. you need to wait 4-6 weeks for the new skin to become as strong as the old one was. The colour should be fine, i can see it is still a bit pinkish, which is normal, dont worry!:)
btw, i really regretted to do this chemical peel, i wouldn't do it again.

xx

Professor Dr. Adel Wilson MD, FRCS
Fellow of the European Board of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery
Cairo, Egypt
Comments: 46

Reply to Syl

The secret of chemical peel is time !!! Just give it time.

(0)
San
visitor

Hi dear Syl,

Thanks dear! I am praying and hoping by one month time it goes off. My doctor gave me a cream again called LMB pigment pigment lightening cream because I wanted a speed recovery. So annoying to see the 2 dark spots on my face! I will update again after a month. U have really been a great motivator for me Syl! *hugs* I will never ever wanna have a chemcial peel again. 1st of all it was recommended by the doctor and I didn't know what the hell it was. All I wanted was to treat my scarrings from pimples on my face which scarred badly and only at few areas only. I feel u too Syl! Will update in a month time on my skin then. :))

San
visitor
Reply to San

Dear Dr Adel Wilson,

Mine was just a 20% glycholic peel. So how long do I need for my skin to completely heel raftly?

anon12345
visitor
California, United States
Reply to Anonymous

LOL a 50% peel for SEVEN minutes? Did you read the instructions? it said 1 minute.

sen
visitor
Virginia, United States

he hi
i did chemical light peel on saturday and today is thursday i m like lite darker mn and nw my skin looks horrible its look more darker as compared to previous one litle bit reddish
donno what to do when ever i asked her she keep on telling use sunblock protect ur skin...wt all d precaution is there m goin with it like each and every hour m using sun cream and in the eveing time m using hydrative cream epitheliale ah repair cream with sebamed care gel she told ke to use thrice time in d eveing i mean 6 \8\10 please sombody help me whn ill get my new skin

medspa
visitor
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Comments: 14

hey,
thanks for sharing the cream. hopefully san use this and get recovery very fast. as a lady it is very difficult situation to bear.

sen
visitor
Virginia, United States

sir
now she prescribe me aziderm and clear gel n she said mix n apply bed time so i jst continue wt she told me bt main things is result doin such kind of chemical treatment on skin shuld get result also nw she,s out of station fo 1 mnth n eva i cnnt contct hr so lil bit dissappontd wt to do,,,

trish08
visitor
Cavite, Philippines

Hi i do peeling my whole body but its not good for me..my skin become darker than before..what should i do..to make my skin back to normal again..

Vishu
visitor
Virginia, United States
Reply to DR FAYEK MOURICE GORGY

I'm using boro plus lotion for skin healing.. Will it work?

We’re sorry, but this discussion has been locked. You will not be allowed to include any additional posts here.

Start a new discussion on topic of Chemical peel.