How long is the recovery period after liposuction?

This website uses "cookies" (small data files on your computer) in order to improve your experience on the website. If you do not agree to our use of cookies, you can change your settings. For more information please see our privacy policy.
FAQ

FAQ
FAQ
IP: *

I want to return to work and start playing sports as soon as possible after the liposuction. How long is the recovery period after liposuction?

(0)
georgeterry georgeterry
visitor IP: *.169.3.204
Victoria, Australia
Comments: 2

The recovery period after liposuction will depends on how you take car of your self. For fast recovery it is very important to follow the instruction of doctor. Generally the recovery time is about fifteen to twenty day.

(0)
   Comment   
Dr. Abel Hipólito Dr. Abel Hipólito
Basic member IP: *.192.168.32
Plastic surgery
Guadalajara, Mexico
Comments: 17

Reply to georgeterry

Liposuction operations are a surgical technique to remove fat deposits in specific anti-aesthetic areas of the body, including face, neck, arms, trunk, abdomen, buttocks, hips, thighs, knees, calves and ankles The results are not immediate. After aspiration edema occurs to be treated with compression garments (girdles, stockings) and lymphatic drainage. The result is twenty-four hours or week, but the reduction in volume causes a retraction of the skin that makes the new contour to appreciate in the first 1-2 months. Although complications could be given after any type of surgery. Those that occur in liposuction are often of a minor nature, such as small irregularities in the skin. Is also possible that there may be other problems such as discoloration of the skin surface that can last up to twelve or eighteen months. Generally sensitivity returns to normal, but there may be variations on it for several months.during the healing process have also been observed feelings of discomfort and localized burning away in a few weeks.

(0)
   Comment   
Dr. Julio César Escobar Fonseca M.D. Dr. Julio César Escobar Fonseca M.D.
silver member Basic member IP: *.9.84.162
Plastic surgery
Cali, Colombia
Comments: 450  ( 4)

Reply to georgeterry

The recovery process after surgical liposuction depends on several factors: Amount of fat removed and / or injected, the patient's recovery capacity, quality of the rehabilitation process after surgery, other surgeries performed in the same event, usual activity the patient, presence of chronic diseases, among others.

In general, a patient who does not live in Cali, Colombia, can travel to his home about 2 or 3 weeks after surgery. If the patient lives in our city, can return to their work in 8 days or less, depending on the complexity of the surgical procedure. Should always be made to around 20 deep lymphatic drainage massage, using dynamic compression bands 24 hours a day for 2 or 3 months, receiving hyperbaric oxygen therapy in the first week and take an advanced fitness and nutrition.

Do not smoke or exposure to UV sunlight for 4 to 6 months.

More information XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

With the desire to serve,

JULIO CESAR ESCOBAR F., MD.
Plastic, Aesthetic & Reconstructive Surgery.
Member SCCP CCVP, ACCPRE, IPRAS, FILACP.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Telephone: (57-2) XXXXXXXX / (57-2) XXXXXXXX.
Mobile: (57) XXXXXXXXXXXX.
USA: +1 (786) XXXXXXXX (toll free).

(0)
   Comment   
Nicolas Zwillinger M.D. Nicolas Zwillinger M.D.
bronze member Premium member IP: *.245.125.45
Plastic surgery | more Microsurgery
Paris, France
Comments: 246  ( 2)

Reply to georgeterry

One month minimum

(0)
   Comment   
M.D. Natasa Popovic M.D. Natasa Popovic
silver member Basic member IP: *.216.141.27
Plastic surgery
Comments: 402  ( 2)

7 days to rest at home ,after you can go to work and after 1 months go to the gym.

(0)
   Comment   
Anup Dhir M.D. Anup Dhir M.D.
silver member Basic member IP: *.162.35.106
Plastic surgery
New Delhi, India
Comments: 42

You are encouraged to move around on the same day after the procedure.Light exercises can be resumed after 3 weeks

(0)
   Comment   
Cosmetic Surgery & Skin Center Cosmetic Surgery & Skin Center
platinum member Basic member IP: *.178.174.67
Lahore, Pakistan
Comments: 557  ( 48)

Dear,

The recovery of liposuction is quick, especially if performed using the tumescent technique, under local anesthesia. The patient is mobile immediately after operation, and goes to work as soon as third day of surgery. Complete recovery takes one to two weeks in most cases.

With Best Wishes

Dr.H.A.Khawaja, MD; Diploma Approved By:American Board of Cosmetic Surgery
Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon & Dermatologist

(0)
   Comment   
Dr Karthik Ram Dr Karthik Ram
silver member Basic member IP: *.164.199.196
Chennai, India
Comments: 36

Normally 4 to 5 days is the recovery period

(0)
   Comment   
Prof.Dr. John F. Celin M.D. M.D. Prof.Dr. John F. Celin M.D. M.D.
silver member Basic member IP: *.53.134.58
London, United Kingdom
Comments: 46

the recovery is usually fast. You can go back to your routine the day after but for sport I avise to wait about one month.All depends on the follow-up

(0)
   Comment   
Prof.Dr. M. Adnan Uzunismail Prof.Dr. M. Adnan Uzunismail
bronze member Basic member IP: *.191.236.111
Plastic surgery
Istanbul, Turkey
Comments: 94  ( 3)

After a week one can to work. However strenous sports are not recommended for 3 months.

(0)
   Comment   
Carlos Gonzalez-Legarda M.D. Carlos Gonzalez-Legarda M.D.
platinum member Basic member IP: *.184.151.222
Plastic surgery
Bogotá, Colombia
Comments: 221  ( 3)

I recomend a minimun of 7 days for recovery, but if you have 14 or more days is absolutly betterm for return to the job. Playing sports could take about 2 aditional weeks.

(0)
   Comment   
DR S M BAKHTIAR KAMAL DR S M BAKHTIAR KAMAL
bronze member Basic member IP: *.234.86.230
Comments: 59

It takes 5-7 days to recover after liposuction.

(0)
   Comment   
Mario Alfonso González Cepeda M.D. Mario Alfonso González Cepeda M.D.
silver member Basic member IP: *.153.215.175
Plastic surgery | more Surgery
Cancun, Mexico
Comments: 886  ( 65)

Nosotros DESPUES DE UNA Liposucción o lipoescultura, utilizamos Una faja de Compresión al mes Menos de Naciones Unidas de la Operación, e indicamos al Paciente HACER NINGUN sin ningun Ejercicio o deporte Hasta despues de las Tres Semanas, Que no ameriten esfuerzos Grandes. Los Ejercicios COMO levantamiento d de pesas, deportes de contacto, Grandes estiramientos, Nosotros recomendamos hacerlos al segundo mes.

(0)
   Comment   
EVE EVE
visitor IP: *.153.88.2
New Jersey, United States

I had a liposuction on the up and abdominal part of my stomach almost 5 month ago, but I am still having swollenness and lack of feeling and sensation right below the belly button for maybe 5 inches wide and around it. I am very worried about, but when I ask my doctor, he is saying that I have to wait a little more time. Please advise!

(0)
   Comment   
EVE EVE
visitor IP: *.153.88.2
New Jersey, United States

I had a liposuction on the up and abdominal part of my stomach almost 5 month ago, but I am still having inflammations, swollenness and lack of feeling and sensation right below the belly button for maybe 5 inches wide and around it. I am very worried about, but when I ask my doctor, he is saying that I have to wait a little more time. Please advice!

(0)
   Comment   
M.D. Antonio Cardenas Barajas M.D. Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon M.D. Antonio Cardenas Barajas M.D. Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon
bronze member Basic member IP: *.161.160.252
Plastic surgery
Monterrey, Mexico
Comments: 98

Reply to EVE

HI EVE: I always recommend that my patients use massage, ultrasound therapy or endermologie in the first weeks after surgery to reduce swelling, inflammation and numbness. If you already have you done any of this, I recommend a second opinion with another plastic surgeon for you to be quiet.
Dr. Cardenas Monterrey64710

(0)
   Comment   
Akruti Institute of plastic and cosmetic surgery Akruti Institute of plastic and cosmetic surgery
silver member Basic member IP: *.169.142.201
Hyderabad, India
Comments: 64

Hi we would like to know the possible body parts you were keen in performing the lipo so that we can advise on the recovery period.

Thanks,
Medical Panel
Akruti.co.in

(0)
   Comment   
We’re sorry, but this discussion has been locked. You will not be allowed to include any additional posts here.

Start a new discussion on topic of Liposuction.