The Czech Republic is one of the most popular cosmetic and plastic surgery destinations. Extremely high standards of both doctors and facilities combined with low prices and an easily accessible location in central Europe make the Czech Republic an easy choice when you are looking for cosmetic surgery abroad.
The Czech Republic is in fact the home of modern plastic surgery. Czech plastic surgeons are highly educated, trained, skilled and qualified. Clinics are located in Prague, Brno and other smaller cities. Both Prague and Brno have international airports for those who may be flying in to the country. The Czech Republic is a fairly small country. Even if you choose a clinic outside of Prague, travel time from the airport shouldn't be more than two hours.
What are the advantages of Czech cosmetic surgery?
- All Czech plastic surgeons are well-qualified. Their education level and practice is higher than the global average.
- The price of cosmetic surgery treatments in Prague is about 1/3 to 1/2 of the price you would pay in the U.K.
- Your surgery will be performed in Europe and in a mild climate.
- A flight to the Czech Republic from the U.K. takes about one hour. Airline ticket costs are cheap and there are many flights a day.
- A majority of Czech cosmetic surgeons speak English.
- Czech plastic and cosmetic surgeons are internationally recognized. They regularly perform lectures and share their innovative techniques with specialists all over the world.
- You will get the best pre-operative and post-operative care from a professional English speaking staff.
Czech plastic surgeons have to work in the cosmetic plastic surgery field for 4 years, under supervision, before obtaining their certification.
What it takes to become a certified plastic surgeon in the Czech Republic
- University for six years, followed by:
- A specialization in general surgery, two years of practice as a postgraduate under supervision of senior doctors, followed by:
- Two years of general surgeon practice, followed by:
- The passing of a selection procedure in order to further specialize in plastic surgery, followed by:
- Four years of plastic surgery theoretical and practical practice in a state certified clinic for plastic surgery. This practice is under the supervision of senior plastic surgeons.
- A thorough final examination in plastic surgery.
The above are legal obligations to become a plastic surgeon in the Czech Republic. All Czech plastic surgeons are qualified plastic surgeons.
How to choose a plastic surgeon for cosmetic surgery
- Make sure you have a board certified plastic surgeon. (If you are in doubt contact us or visit the website of the Society of Aesthetic Surgery and the Society of Plastic Surgery.)
- Ask for before/after pictures of the operation you are interested in. The complexity of operations differ; there are simple ones and ones that require a very high skill level. For example, one of the more complicated procedures is rhinoplasty.
- The photo of a plastic surgeon is not that important. A lot of excellent specialists don't look like a doctor from a TV soap opera.
- Be aware that an excellent plastic surgeon needs basically two things; experience and skillful hands, which are a gift from God. The education on its own is not enough.
- Do a lot of research. The cosmetic surgery experiences of your friends might also be helpful.
- The best surgeons might not be those that let you travel soon after the operation. There are some procedures that will require you to stay in the country for 1-2 weeks or even more. One example is abdominoplasty.
The best plastic surgeons usually have a full schedule at least six months in advance. Very rarely would you be able to have a consultation or operation within a month from now or less.
The President of the Czech Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, recommends:
Asc. Prof. Marketa Duskova, M.D., Ph.D., President of the Czech Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, recommends:
- Your chosen specialist should be a certified plastic surgeon. See the list of plastic surgeons that are members and the list of plastic surgeons that are certified members of the Czech Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
- It is reasonable to assume the whole process will be with the same plastic surgeon, i.e. the initial consultation, examination, the surgery, and post-op care. It is good to stay in contact by phone or email throughout the whole healing process.
Why choose Czech plastic surgery?
Plastic surgery has a long tradition here. In Europe, the foundation of this medical branch is associated with the name of the great Czech, Academician Frantisek Burian. The treatment is at a high level and the prices are affordable for the majority of interested persons. Among the main advantages of Czech plastic surgery is the educational system that ensures a high-quality of medical care.
What are the main features of the Czech educational system?
In the Czech Republic there are 4 training steps:
- At first a plastic surgeon trainee starts with theoretical studies and watches the surgeries,
- Then she/he assists the senior surgeon,
- She/he continues operating under supervision and assisting the senior surgeon
- Finally she/he performs the surgery alone.
If we compare the training situation in other countries, such tutoring and conditions for obtaining full qualification may be less detailed or even sometimes not included.
How to choose a Czech plastic surgery clinic
- Every plastic surgery facility or clinic in the Czech Republic has to have a "top qualified plastic surgeon," a warrantor. Such a plastic surgeon has to be certified for this post by the state which means by the Society of Aesthetic Surgery and Society of Plastic Surgery. The warrantor is the one who guarantees the level of medical care in the clinic. But be aware that this doctor doesn't have to be the one performing your surgery. Make sure you know the plastic surgeon who will be performing your surgery.
- As we said above, you should search for an experienced and skillful specialist. In addition, there is the medical equipment that may be needed for the surgery you want. For example, for an endoscopic face lift or neck lift you need an endoscop; for laser treatment you need a laser. But for a lot of procedures you don´t need such equipment and the skill of the surgeon might be more important.
- Many surgeons perform surgeries at more than one facility.
Providers of cosmetic surgery packages
Going for plastic surgery on your own
You may want to arrange a cosmetic surgery trip to the Czech Republic on your own. It is simple. In 30 minutes, you can simply purchase an airplane ticket, accommodation and airport transfer on the internet. But first, you should secure an appointment for a consultation or possible operation from a chosen plastic surgery specialist. Sometimes the clinic where you wish to undergo the treatment may recommend accomodation or an apartment near the facility as well as an airport transfer.
You might decide you don't want to travel alone. Well, bring your husband and send him off to play golf, bring your wife and arrange for her to shop or bring a friend for a fabulous week of sightseeing.
The Czech Republic is far from being a third world country. You don't have to be afraid to get a taxi from the airport. You may contact us if you wish a recommendation of an apartment or other accommodation. The bottom line is: find a surgeon, give him a call or send an email and go from there.
All-inclusive cosmetic plastic surgery packages
Purchasing an all-inclusive cosmetic surgery package through a middleman may be more expensive but you will be taken care of from your home airport on. You may have someone to chat with on the way. Some of the providers have undergone treatments themselves. You may feel better not having to arrange and do this on your own. Agents usually know their way around Prague and the Czech Republic. On the other hand, they do what they do for a profit. Also, agents will probably only recommend you to a clinic or plastic surgeon they deal with. The bottom line is: decide if you are willing to pay more for the peace of mind that comes with everything being taken care of.We do not list agencies that perform these services at this time. However you will find them on major search engines if you search for plastic surgery in Prague.
The Czech Republic is the home of the first plastic surgeonsThe foundations of plastic surgery were laid by Czech professor Frantisek Burian in 1912. Three years later he launched the first plastic surgery centre in the world. Burian developed many operational procedures and techniques that are the base for many plastic surgeries around the world today.