Hook of hamate fracture
1st Doctor (20th Nov to 20th Jan)
Doctor identified the fractured scaphoid (hook of hamate was not identified) in an x-ray and I had a
full hand cast on 9th Dec 2012 (from palm to below elbow) to 20th Jan 2012 (6 weeks). Doctor advised
for checkup after 2 weeks and that he would prescribe Xray or CT Scan after that.
2nd Doctor (Post 20th Jan)
Pain persisted even after a week of removal of cast so I consulted he 2nd Doctor. He suspected a non
union of scaphoid and suggested an MRI Scan.
MRI revealed a fracture of hook of hamate and edema in trapezoid, scaphoid and wrist area. 2nd Doctor
- scaphoid has joined successfully.
- Wrist Splint to be used for 1 month.
- No heavy load lifting
- Bio-D3 Strong tabs, Disperzyme tab and Calcinase nasal spray.
- Advised that surgery is not required for hook of hamate.
I never went back to the first doctor.
3rd Doctor (Post 20th Jan)
On consultation with another hand sergeon
- He advised excision of hook of haamate as it has not united so far after 2 months.
- Wrist arthroscopy to check suspected tfcc tear and repair if necessary. (2nd Doctor did not even
speak about tfcc tear)
I am completely confused. What should I do?